Choosing Piano Keyboard for a child beginner

Not until recently did my little son had the craze for music until he found a Grand piano at his friend's home. He started playing on it and got hooked on to it so fast that he came back home with his newest demand - A Piano!

Well, while I was considering his request, his friend's dad happened to chat up with me and commended about my little son that he had a natural ability for the keyboard. So, with double confirmation, I started looking for a piano. Now was the question, Should I buy a real piano, or an electronic keyboard. After various considerations, I realised that keyboard was what I wanted. OK. now, which keyboard.

Look around and there are quite a couple of keyboards. With rapidly improvin technology, keyboards have become much sophisticated than ever is what I realised comparing to a 48 key Casio keyboard I had a couple of years ago..

So what are the considerations for buying this keyboard and how should I search it ? This was my shortlist.

1. The instrument should be able to teach a child all the chords in a friendly, phased manner.
2. Teaching alone is not sufficient, it should be able to analyse whether the child is learning.
3. The keyboard should have great features that would be good for years to come.
4. It should be close to a real piano.
5. Maximum budget of 200$


I didn't have much choices other than Casio and Yamaha. Both have a great number of choices and fabulous keyboards but I didn't need convincing that the lighted keyboards are the most appropriate ones for faster learning.

The lighted keyboards actually light up the keys that are to be pressed next to get the tune going.

Two great, most advanced keyboards I found were the Casio LK100 and Yamaha EZ200.

Both these are 61 Key Keyboards and after reading several blogs, articles, I realized that a minimum 61 key keyboard is required to start learning a piano although an 88 Key board is great. I didn't want too big a board either. Looked like these were great keyboards to start with.

There began my hunt for comparing the products.

Both these keyboards are perfect keyboards and are priced right for the great features they are offering. Casio LK 100 costs a third less than the EZ200 at the time of this article.

Great common features about Casio LK 100 and Yamaha EZ200
  • 61 Keys, Over 100 songs, 100 instument types.
  • 3 Step Lessons, Lighted keys..
  • Headphone Compatible, so that learner can learn without disturbing others.
  • MIDI compatible, can connect to a comuter to store any compositions etc.

Additional features that Yamaha keyboard has for the additional price you pay:

  • Has a Chord Dictionary , Has a Grading system to provide feedback to the learner
  • 32 note Polyphony ( Casio has 16). This means one can have
  • Metronome ( produces beats at intervals for timing)
  • Grand Piano Sound ( at a press of a button, the keyboard transforms to a Grand Piano)
  • Real Stereo ( not just 2 speakers)
  • Connects to a pedal so that learner can practice as if on a Real Piano.
  • More Voices ( 367 in total)
Well, finally I settled for the Yamaha Piano for its features. Though slightly expensive, it is great for the money I spent on it.


My son's already learning !

No comments:

Post a Comment